December 14, 2012
Google has launched a great new tool which will help event organisers get their events found in organic search. The tool will open up a new channel for event promotion, and allow event organisers to drive awareness of their event through Google.
The new Data Highlighter makes it easy to highlight to Google relevant sections of your site. These mark ups then allow Google to quickly index your events and list them in organic search. Traditionally these markups would have to be implement by adding code to your site. The Data Highlighter enables you to avoid that by using a simple interface.
By simply clicking and dragging over relevant event information Google will create the markups for you, and then apply it to other similar pages if you wish. This means that if you have multiple event pages you can use the tool on one page, and it will automatically mark up the other pages as well.
This will give event organisers an easy way to improve search engine optimisation. These markups are easily identifiable by search engines, therefore making it easier for them to crawl your site.
Once you’ve got the markups complete you’ll see your event details appearing below your organic listings. This will bring increased exposure to your events and enable ticket buyers direct access from search to the event page. This should see an increase in online ticket sales as the conversion pathway is shortened.
At the moment the tool is only available in English and will be most effective on consistently structured event listings. The tool will be available for other languages and data types in the near future.
How to use the Google Data Highlighter Tool To Promote Your Event
1) Input the URL of a typical page on your website that contains structured data.
2) When the page appears, highlight information by clicking and dragging the relevant information.
3) Google will guide you through the process and will give you a preview of how your listing will look.
4) Data Highlighter will show you similar pages from your website at the top of the screen with the data already highlighted. You can review this information and correct any errors.
5) To save and complete the process, click Publish.
6) Google will now apply the patterns it has recognised for your entire website, no matter how big or small.
Although it won’t guarantee increased exposure, by completing this you will be giving your event the greatest chance of increased free promotion.
To get started using Data Highlighter you will need access to Google Webmaster Tools for your site. You can set up your access to Webmaster Tools here.